Tuesday, March 19, 2013

5 Fast and Cheap Organizing Tips I Use In Our Home

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I realize that not everyone gets a slight endorphin rush from the word "organizing" like I do, but I hope you find these tips valuable and helpful.  I use these 5 tips in my home and they help me keep things tidy.  If you have kids around, you know how difficult that can be!

Tip 1
Small Laundry Basket At the Bottom Of the Stairs:

This gets used daily in our house.  If you have a 2-story home and a second story laundry room, this is a perfect spot for dirty dish rags, cloth napkins after dinner, random socks; any dirty laundry that accumulates during the day and you want a quick spot to place it with-out running to the hamper in the bedroom.  If you have kids, than you have laundry that magically appears out of no where.  Seriously!  This would also work perfectly for toys, books, or any other random item that needs to go upstairs and you don't feel like burning the calories taking the time to go upstairs.  When I was growing up, my Mom kept a bucket (same concept) under the kitchen sinks that she put dirty rags in and come laundry day, she would empty the bucket.  I bought this little square basket at a garage sale and spray painted it teal (I love this color right now).  Before I found it, I was using a dollar store basket.

Tip 2
Hooks:

Install hooks on the back of your doors.  We have hooks on the back of the garage door, and in both upstairs bathrooms.  Hooks help keep stuff off of the floor or from piling on other furniture.  You can hang backpacks, hats, towels, bath robes, etc...... on them.  They are inexpensive and quickly installed.  You can also find them in any finish.

Tip 3
The Squirmy Sleeper and Safety Pins


My husband was still doing this on his bed when I met him in his mid-twenties.  To keep his sheets from getting disheveled while sleeping, AND to make "making the bed" quick and easy, my Mother in law safety pinned my husband's top sheet to his blanket.  If you have kids than you know how they squirm in the middle of the night and you frequently find the top sheet at the bottom of the bed.  This solves that problem and makes putting the bed back together simple.  To make the bed, you just pull the pinned sheet/blanket to the top and done!  I have yet to find a pin "unpinned" after many years.  After all, most of us wore cloth diapers and had these things on us for a few years.  With that said, if you are putting this on a child's bed, you should do everything to ensure that they don't play with the pins.

Tip 4
IKEA Pot Rack Organizer

I fought lids for 10 years until I found this gadget.  I think I paid $5.99 max!  It works like a charm and no more dropping or searching for lids when I make dinner.  Simple and cheap! It holds 6 lids.

Tip 5
Store DVD's in a CD Case

DVD's and their cases tend to take up a lot of room on the shelf, I would personally rather look at books on a shelf than movies.  For us, this project was free because I had an extra case on hand.  I would encourage you to look at Goodwill before buying one brand new.  It takes up very little space and its easy to transport.  I put the cases away, and out of sight, for movies I think we might get rid of in the future.  Otherwise, recycle the cases and save on space.

I hope you enjoyed these tips and if you decide to try one, let me know!!!

Many blessings to you,
Home Centered Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your input! Home Centered Girl