Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Leftovers......

Hi Friends!

This post is about a simple organization system we created to handle the "leftovers" or outgoing items that are either left in our home after having guests, or other items that need to leave our place the next time we walk out the door.

You know those "leftovers", the random hair scrunchie, toy, book, pair of socks, you name it; anything that gets left behind and needs to be returned to its owner.  Because I'm not a fan of clutter piling up on surfaces in our home, it would start to drive me nuts when little random objects would line up on the coat rack, and often be forgotten when we were leaving the house.

After dragging  convincing my husband to go with me to Ikea about a month ago, I spotted this, the Bygel rail:
(bygel rail click here for link)

It has storage bins that hook to it and this smaller rail fits 2 of those bins.

The rail was only $3.00; seriously affordable. The two bins I purchased (see below) were $4.00 I think????????  Over all, I spent a maximum of $11.00.  The point here was affordability.  In the future I would love to upgrade to something a little bigger and use baskets instead of plastic bins, but for now, this budget friendly system works great.

Here is the rail with 2 bins, hanging under our keys:



(disclaimer: Yes, thats A LOT of jackets, the picture quality is rather poor due to it being a night shot, and I have a "not so awesome" camera.  Add a new camera to my list of future blog needs. :)

I used my label maker to add labels to the bins, "inbox" and "outbox".
 


Items that go in the Outbox bin: "leftovers", items to be mailed, a borrowed item, anything that I can stuff in here as a temporary home for our next trip out the door

Items that go in the Inbox bin: sunglasses from the car I want to bring in the house, ID badges, other random items that need to come in from the car for use in the house, but will be going back out to the car in a future trip. 

Other ideas:
You could have a bin for each family member (and yes, Ikea makes a longer rail that fits more bins), this would also be a great spot for keys if you don't have another system and you're the type that loses your keys.

Another idea for the rail:
This rail would be perfect, mounted in a closet for hanging scarves.  At only $3.00, its a VERY affordable option.  In fact, I think I might be doing this idea at some point in the future.

Thank you readers!  Many blessings to you!  Home Centered Girl.









2 comments:

  1. This idea can totally work, not only for little items, but for a small bathroom without storage options. What I might try is lose weave baskets instead of bins, to give it an organic look. I love all these ideas that help lead to personalizing your space. Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think woven baskets would be ideal! Come on Ikea, make the baskets! I find when storage solutions are beautiful, we are more likely to use them. Thank you for your comment!!!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your input! Home Centered Girl